Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sweet, Sticky, Spicy Chicken
















I saw this recipe on a blog I visit called Live, Laugh and Love. I am including a link to the recipe on her website, and also writing it out below. Visit Julia at Live, Laugh and Love.

So I have found really tasty chicken like this at Chinese restaurants, but I never looked for a recipe to make myself. I love this combination of ingredients for the sauce with the brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic especially. This is a keeper! So when I made this, the sauce never actually thickened so I took 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a little water and then mixed that into the sauce. After a few minutes, it thickened up quite nicely. This was really yummy and reminded my husband and I of some of the great chicken dishes we've had at our favorite Chinese restaurants.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic (chopped or crushed)
3 tablespoons hot sauce
1-2 pounds chicken breasts or strips (I used chicken breasts)

*optional: Add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon corn starch with water to the sauce if it doesn't thicken



Instructions:
  • Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
  • Brown the chicken on both sides.
  • Pour the sauce over the chicken.
  • Simmer, uncovered until the sauce thickens (about 10 minutes).

We made ours with rice and broccoli but my husband thought it would be great with pea pods added too. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, Tracey, I need to try this. I love chinese food and this sounds really, really gooooood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea, it is hard not to overeat on this one! I put the sauce on my broccoli too. It does have a kick though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the linky love :) I'm glad you enjoyed this!!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome the comments of our followers!