6 cups day old bread (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup flour
4 cups half and half
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 T minced garlic
1 box sliced mushrooms
1 or 2 boxes frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place bread in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Whisk together yolks, eggs and flour in a bowl. Whisk in half and half, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour mixture over the bread and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350. Heat 2 T oil in large skillet on high. Add garlic and spinach. Cook for 5 or more minutes and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 T of oil; heat on high. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned (4-5 minutes).
- Mix spinach, mushrooms and 3/4 cup Parmesan into the strata. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until browned and set. Let rest for 15 minutes at room temperature and cut into squares. Serve warm.