Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Quinoa/Millet Muffins





I am part of a MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group in the Madison area. We rotate bringing treats and I made this recipe for the group. I first had these muffins at my baby shower where one of the ladies made this with millet. I discovered millet is very hard to find in a regular grocery store (many of the co-ops and whole foods-type stores carry it) so I went with quinoa instead. These muffins are excellent. They have just enough sweetness to them and a good flavor. You know you're eating muffins that are good for you.



Ingredients:
2/3 cup ground quinoa or millet. (I had to grind mine using a coffee grinder.)
1/3 cup ground flaxseed (I used flaxseed meal)
1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 T honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1-1/2 cup white or wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375. If not using baking cups, spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Mix sugar, egg, add quinoa/millet, flax, yogurt, honey and melted butter. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add gradually to the wet ingredients. Stir until moist. Spoon into muffin cups (batter will be very thick & sticky). For large muffins, bake 16-17 minutes. For mini muffins bake for 14 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi tracey, I found you through Tea's Blog. I have just started a food blog too! So we can swap recipes. I only just bought quinoa last week and I didn't know what to do with it, so your recipe sounds great! My blog is: http//fislovekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Tracey! I will have to give these a try, they sound great! :)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome the comments of our followers!