I found a new recipe site that I really like called Nicko's Kitchen. It's actually a video recipe site on You Tube. I find I like seeing the videos, but he isn't good about telling you how much time to spend on each part. You have to play that by ear.
I think I've finally found my "keeper" shepherd's pie recipe. I have checked out cook books from the library, tried friends recipes and the internet, but just never found one that had the taste I wanted. Until this one. I used all my own measurements and he doesn't give time instructions so I just played it by ear.
1/2 cup cream
1/2 stick butter
2 T minced garlic
1 lb ground beef
1 bag frozen peas
1 package gravy mix
1 cup water
- Cover bottom of frying pan with some olive oil.
- Add garlic and carrots and cook until softened.
- Add ground beef and mix together. Continue cooking until ground beef is browned.
- Sprinkle gravy mix over beef mixture and add 1 cup water.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes or so until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Cut up and boil the potatoes.
- Add cream, butter and salt/pepper to taste.
- Mash until creamy.
- Place meat mixture into glass baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top using a fork.
- Cook in 500 degree oven for minutes.