Thursday, March 3, 2011

Just My Mac-n-Cheese

So Brandie responded to my "fancy mac-n-cheese" recipe wanting to know the recipe for my "basic" mac-n-cheese that I usually make all the time for my family. It's funny because I don't really have any measurements (until today). So I mentioned earlier that my husband just loves mac-n-cheese. I used to just make it using Velveeta and shredded cheddar but then my sister told me she always used flour and water in addition to her cheese. So I've played around with this dish many times and here's the best I can do at estimating how I make it. This is still my favorite way to make it, by the way.

Ingredients:
1 box macaroni
1/4 to 1/2 jar cheese whiz (it's up to you)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
A few tablespoons of flour or more
1/2 cup water (to start)


Instructions:
  • Prepare macaroni according to package directions.
  • In medium skillet, add cheese whiz and shredded cheddar. Over medium heat, stir until cheese is melted. Be very careful not to let it burn! (I learned from experience when I had it too high and got distracted doing something else, and it burned.)
  • Add a few tablespoons of flour and 1/4 cup water. Stir until well-blended. (Note: Sometimes I have to stir it a while slowly until this all really blends together and the water "becomes" part of the cheese and isn't separated.) Add another tablespoon of flour and 1/4 cup water. You can repeat this procedure a third time until you get the consistency you want. If it seems too thick, you can also just add 1 or 2 T of water.
  • Add the melted cheese mixture to the macaroni and stir until mixed well.
  • You can eat as is or pop into the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees for a crispier dish. Sometimes I add a pound of hamburger too if I am using this as my main dish.
ENJOY!

(Picture credit goes to free Microsoft Clip Art)

1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE that this recipe uses cheez whiz...lol. So many of the creamier mac-n-cheeses use velveeta - which is fine, but as it starts to cool off a bit, it gets kinda clumpy and sticky. I bet the cheez whiz keeps this very creamy! I'm so excited to make this!!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome the comments of our followers!